Thursday, April 18, 2013

Perception

Perception.  We hear that a lot and I think about it a lot also. In terms of PTSD and TBI, perception can be a killer. Those of us in the family, and I consider every last one of you dealing with this on any level at all my family, we say, and realize, that some wounds aren't visible. Unfortunately,  I believe that those are the hardest to deal with. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that someone with a physical handicap doesn't have a tough road, but in most of those cases, there is something to fight. You know pretty much what to expect. With us, the only thing that we can expect is a rollercoaster, somehow and somewhere. 90% of us have friends and family who either don't know about it or don't understand the extent of it. What about in the workplace? How many bosses and peers know what we keep in our closets. We don't have skeletons, we have whole cemetaries. Why is this? Why do we keep silent? For me, it's easier to keep silent than to answer hundreds of questions or get those looks, like if we say boo the whole place would clear out. I'm afraid that they would call me unstable, and I couldn't dispute their claim, because I am unstable. Even on my meds I still have horrible days. So what can we do about this? Nothing. Only you know what's best for you. Only you know who you can open up to or not. Only you know what the supposed consequences, and there will be, both good and bad, might be. All I can say us weigh your ootions heavily before opening up. Talk to your therapist and your spouse about it. On a side note about talking to your therapist and spouse, yes, you are granted confidentiality in all that is said to your therapist, but I feel that your spouse has a right to know also. They have signed on for the long haul. They are trying to stand by you as best they can, go give them the means to help be keeping them informed. It might not be easy for either of you, but if the roles were reversed, wouldn't you want that same courtesy?

No comments:

Post a Comment